Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Tuesday Teaser with Review: Dark Instincts by Suzanne Wright


Dark Instinct by Suzanne Wright
Series: Phoenix Pack, #4
Pub Date: April 7, 2014

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:

It happens whenever wolf shifter Roni Axton is near Marcus Fuller: a crackle of sexual awareness that’s intoxicating…and deeply annoying. Marcus is a pack enforcer who oozes power, but Roni is lethal in her own right—nothing like the flirty females who flock around him. Even still, his possessive gaze makes one thing clear. Marcus has singled her out for seduction, and he wants to make her sit up and beg.


No matter how aloof and unfazed Roni acts, Marcus can tell she wants him. When a brutal attack by a jackal pack forces them to work together, it’s the perfect opportunity for Marcus to chip away at her defenses—until he falls into his own trap, completely unprepared for the intensity of their connection. Roni is the only one who’s ever seen past his shifter charm and discovered the man hiding beneath it. And for Marcus, claiming Roni once will mean needing her forever.

I didn't read the blurb for this one before I started reading because I wanted the couple to surprise me.  I have to say that I was surprised that Roni was paired with Marcus. And this was the first book of this series where I liked the female character better than the male. Don't get me wrong, Marcus was yummy in his alpha male behavior. I liked that he was possessive, yet supportive, instead of just out-and-out controlling. He coaxed Roni into trusting him in a way that the other males probably would not have thought to try. But Marcus was kind of an unknown for me before this book - I never really paid attention to him in the earlier parts of the series.

Roni was a great heroine, and I was able to connect with her pretty quickly. I understood her need to escape into her wolf when people were coddling her or treating her as a weak female. I totally identify with this as I cannot stand for someone to think that I am not capable of doing something, whether its due to my back injury or due to being a girl. I am one of those independent capable chicks that does not need a man to be happy - and I felt like Roni was the same.

Dominic and Derren continue to be my favorite secondary characters, and I do hope that one of their books is coming next. This series just has a recipe to keep my interest no matter who the main characters are. There is just enough action, suspense, drama and steamy sex to keep the pace going for a fast, quick and interesting read. Rock on, Ms. Wright!

View all my reviews

Other Books in the Series:



No comments:

Post a Comment