Friday, June 3, 2016

Freebie Friday Review: Wild Irish Roots by Tricia O'Malley


Series:     Mystic Cove #0.5
Pub. Date:Sept. 12, 2014
Publisher:Park & Stowell
Length:73 Pages
Freebie Date:Jan. 2015

Wild Irish Roots is the prequel novella to the Mystic Cove series briefly details the relationship between Margaret and Sean, which I is background for the first full book, Wild Irish Heart. I have had this book on my TBR List for quite a while. I was excited for the Irish setting as there aren't a great deal of contemporary romances set in that back drop.

It's so hard to review of a book of this length. I don't want to say too much and spoil the story, but that doesn't leave me a lot to talk about because the book was so short.  I enjoyed the descriptions of Ireland and Grace's Cove, it's a beautiful part of the country. Grace refers to Grace O'Malley, infamous pirate queen, who is an ancestor to the females in the Mystic Cove series. The author has provided more details on Grace O'Malley here, including pictures of the Cove and surrounding area.

So Grace's female descendants are blessed with special gifts. Fiona and her daughter, Margaret, are two such descendants blessed with gifts of healing and empathy, respectively. Margaret is the heroine of this story but she does not want the special gifts. She believes that being different or special makes her a freak. This causes Margaret to treat Fiona quite poorly. I have to say that I was not enamored of her character. I know she is only nineteen years old... but she was bratty, selfish and obstinate. 

Margaret's boyfriend is Jeff and they have a very sweet relationship in the early stages of puppy love. The budding relationship between these two characters was endearing and reminded me of those young immature relationships that kids normally have in high school. But like those type of relationships, Jeff and Margaret are both too immature to have an adult relationship and deal with adult issues. This creates a lot of drama and hurt feelings... and worst of all, Margaret is a runner. I'm not a big fan of heroines that run away from their problems and it seems to be Margaret's modus operandi.

This story does end quite abruptly... and the blurb for the second book doesn't mention either of these characters. So I am not sure how everything ties together. I will keep reading because I do like the touch of witchy magic that it seems the series heroines will have, and I want to read more about Ireland. I hope the future heroines are older and more mature though. I have gotten burnt out on characters in the new adult age range.

This book was free on Amazon as of the time this post was written.

No comments:

Post a Comment