Thursday, January 26, 2017

ARC Review: The Forests of Dru by Jeffe Kennedy

Series:     Sorcerous Moons #4
Pub. Date:Jan. 24, 2017
Publisher:Self-Pub
Length:180 pages
Source:Author

The Forests of Dru is the fourth installment of Jeffe Kennedy's Sorcerous Moons series, a fantasy romance saga involving two races - the magical Bara and the barbarian Destrye. You should start reading this series from the beginning, with Lonen's War, where the majority of the world-building occurs. The story follows the same arc in the following books, so I don't recommend that you skip any. This review may contain spoilers for earlier books in the series.

This book picks up where The Tides of Bara ended, with Lonen and Oria convalescing in his rooms inside Dru. The Destrye people, particularly Lonen's older brother, are distrustful of his foreign bride and think she has ensorcelled him for nefarious purposes. Oria is cut off from the magic of  Bara, and has still not managed to harness the wild magic that she needs to replenish her stores. With Oria looking more wan by the day, and Lonen still suffering from a golem bite - he really does not need the drama from his family and people.

In the previous two books, I lost my love for Oria and the level-headed good judgment she exuded in Lonen's War. However, luckily for Lonen (and me), Oria is back to her calm collected self and she is now back in my good graces. I loved that she was a calming influence on Lonen and they were able to have rational conversations, and even flirt with one another. 

The marriage between Oria and Lonen still has one major obstacle... they cannot touch skin to skin. While the marriage has yet to be officially consummated, Lonen is becoming inventive with ways for them to be intimate and share pleasure. I like that our couple is growing closer together, and are starting to present a united front of seemingly "us" against the world. 

My favorite character continues to be Chuffta, a winged dragon/lizard that is Oria's familiar. Chuffta is always the sound of reason (unless he thinking of making fires). He has a dry personality, but the bond between he and Oria is strong. I am looking forward to things that have been foreshadowed for his character.

I still am not a fan of the format of the series. These last two books have not advanced the story arc very far, and the abrupt endings leave me feeling unsatisfied. I think I would have preferred two longer books rather than this split into shorter novellas. That being said, I think I will enjoy where this series ends up and I will definitely keep reading... I just hope we get some major action in the next installment.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the author. 

Sorcerous Moons

No comments:

Post a Comment