Sunday, February 8, 2015

Review: Thin Love by Eden Butler

Thin Love 
by Eden Butler
Series:  Thin Love #1
Pub. Date:  Aug. 18, 2014
Publisher:  Self-Pub
Pages:  481
Format:  eBook
Source:  Purchased


My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


Love isn't supposed to be an addiction. It isn't supposed to leave you bleeding. 

Kona pushed, Keira pulled, and in their wake, they left behind destruction.
She sacrificed everything for him. 
It wasn't enough. 

But the wounds of the past can never be completely forgotten and still the flame remains, slumbers between the pleasure of yesterday and the thought of what might have been. 

Now, sixteen years later, Keira returns home to bury the mother who betrayed her, just as Kona tries to hold onto what remains of his NFL career with the New Orleans Steamers. Across the crowded bustle of a busy French Market, their paths collide, conjuring forgotten memories of a consuming touch, skin on skin, and the still smoldering fire that begs to be rekindled. 

When Kona realizes the trifecta of betrayal—his, Keira's and those lies told to keep them apart—his life is irrevocably changed and he once again takes Keira down with him into the fire that threatens to ignite them both.

This is a story about crazy love. It isn't pretty. It's sad, dramatic, explosive, and fills you up so full you think you'll drown in it. Keira and Kona were stupid for each other. But life tears them apart. Thin Love is a tumultuous roller coaster of love that you don't want to miss. We've all had that one relationship we were stupid over. And for the ones, like me, where the stupid only went one way, this story will resonate with your "what might've been" side.
Love is or it ain't. Thin love ain't love at all. - Toni Morrison, Beloved
First off, I loved that this book was set between Nashville and New Orleans. I like to read about places I lived. And this one, starting off in my current home, but with ties to my native Tennessee, that had me hooked right away. But don't get me wrong, I would have loved this story no matter the setting. It was very realistic... and Ms. Butler tells us at the beginning that the story is based on true events (with some embellishments). I found myself highlighting and noting as I read - a sure sign that this was an engaging read. (Well, so was the fact that once I started it, I couldn't put it down until I was finished at 2am!) I also listened to the music as it was mentioned - I love a book with a playlist.

As I said above, this book is very dramatic and angsty... and I am normally not a fan of angst. I get annoyed easily. But that was not the case with this book. The writing style did not generate annoyance, it made you feel like you were on the roller coaster right along with Kiera and Kona (who I pictured as Duane "the Rock" Johnson). And I could definitely see this book translating to the big screen. Kiera and Kona were very likeable characters, it was easy to get emotionally attached. And both of their mothers were psychotic freaks to the extreme - Kona's more so I think.

I met Eden Butler recently at the Nola Author Event... and man I wish I had read this book before that time. I will definitely be picking up a signed copy at the next event!


My Beloved (Thin Love, #1.5)My Beloved by Eden Butler
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the story of Kiera and Kona's wedding. It takes place before the epilogue in Thin Love. If you couldn't get enough of Kiera and Kona in the first book, this may give you closure.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment