Thursday, March 19, 2015

Review: A Highlander's Obsession by Vonnie Davis

A Highlander's Obsession by Vonnie Davis
Series: Highlander's Beloved, #1

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


Two wandering souls discover that true love needs no words in this explosive, fantastical novel from Vonnie Davis.

Somehow able to telepathically communicate with animals, Paisley Munro has found meaning in her so-called gifts by working as a veterinary assistant. But while traveling to Scotland for a relative’s funeral, Paisley fears that she really has lost her mind. Out in the highlands, she hears distinctly human thoughts coming from a wild bear. Terrified and desperate, she returns to the lodge and collapses in the powerful arms of its owner, a mysterious man with whom she shares a simmering attraction.

Creighton Matheson and his fellow shape-shifters have been roaming this land freely for centuries. Now Paisley may inherit his home, putting his kind in grave danger. His mistrust only deepens when he realizes she can read his mind. Yet he cannot deny that this tantalizing woman makes him burn with desire—and hunger for the prospect of a tender love. Now Creighton must decide which would hurt more: revealing the truth or losing Paisley forever.


I picked this book up without reading the blurb, thinking I was getting a historical highland romance. Imagine my surprise when I realized this is a modern highland shapeshifter novel. A first for me! And the shapeshifters are bears. Another first! However, I was pleasantly surprised. This was a quick, fun, light-hearted read that had me chuckling aloud on occasion.

I liked Creigh and all his alpha male instincts. These were pretty much standard as other alpha books, with lots of declarations of "MINE!" and the like. Only this time I got to do a horrible Scots accent in my head!

Side note: I did not know that a group or clan of bears was called a sleuth - so I even learned something!

Paisley, who has a great name and can communicate with animals, had a lot of insecurities to overcome. She was a bookish heroine, someone for the nerdy girl in us to root for, but her misgivings started to grate in my nerves towards the end. My favorite character by far was Grandma Effie Munro with her pink hair and pelican baffies. She was a hoot! She also reminded me alot of Grandma Mazur from the Stephanie Plum books.

This author is new to me, and I will definitely read more of her work in the future. I would recommend this series to anyone who likes light comical reads with a paranormal element. Have your Scottish dictionary ready!

View all my reviews

Other Books in this Series:

A Highlander's Possession
Book #2

As a bear-shifter in a pack roaming the Scottish countryside, Bryce Matheson embodies brute force and untamed abandon. As a widower, he’s running scared. When Bryce attempted to open his scarred heart to another, she grew tired of waiting for him to state his intentions, and the unearthly beauty spurned him for someone who wasn’t worthy. But now that fate has conspired to set Kenzie Denune free once again, Bryce vows to finally win her love.
 
Kenzie is a witch who summons her powers to protect those too weak to care for themselves. After surviving an abusive husband, she swears off men—even men like Bryce, whose iron muscles make her knees weak, and whose piercing eyes fill her with longing. Her life’s purpose is to help others. However, dark forces have different plans for her gifts. To save herself, Kenzie must team up with the shifter who has always stirred her soul—and trust in a passion powerful enough to set her blood aflame.

No comments:

Post a Comment