Sunday, May 17, 2015

Review: Werewolves be Damned by Stacey Kennedy

Werewolves Be Damned 
by Stacey Kennedy
Series: Magic & Mayhem #1
Pub Date:  April 15, 2013
Publisher:  Entangled
Pages:  204
Format:  eBook
Source:  Purchased
   

My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


Nexi Jones—part witch, part guardian, and wannabe kick-ass warrior—can’t throw a punch or conjure the simplest magic. But that doesn’t stop her from hunting the werewolves who slaughtered her human family. She’ll have her revenge, but only if Kyden, the elite guardian, would get the hell out of her way.

Kyden can’t decide if Nexi wants to get herself killed or if she just has no clue what she’s doing. But her father made it clear: keep Nexi safe…or else. Of course, the more Nexi runs toward revenge, the more she needs Kyden’s aid, and as she grows into her power and confidence, so does his desire to protect her. The only problem? She’d rather he dropped dead.

But when a vampire paints a bull’s-eye on Nexi’s back, she’s hard-pressed to deny Kyden and the help he’s offering. Even if it means getting her revenge will be a little bit harder. At least it will still be as sweet.


The title of this book threw me off a bit. I was expecting our hero or heroine to be a werewolf, but that wasn't the case. Don't worry - there are some yummy werewolves for you furry fans. Hello - Valor and Briggs. They were probably my favorite characters of the book, and they were only secondary characters.

This story was a fairly quick read at approximately 200 pages. Stacey Kennedy is introducing us to a magic and supernaturals who travel between Earth and the Otherworld. I would have liked a bit more world-building, but my friend Deanna pointed out that Ms. Kennedy is probably introducing us to the world as Nexi learns about it. You see, Nexi did not grow up with knowledge of supernaturals and the Otherworld. She was hidden away on Earth to grow up as a mortal, and only learned of the furry, fangy and witchy after her [adoptive] family was murdered. I started off the book not liking Nexi at all, but she was tolerable by the end. Hopefully she will continue to grow on me in the next book.

Kyden was a swoonworthy alpha male warrior, complete with kilt and sword. I loved that he was a gentleman, but turned up the alpha male behavior when necessary. I hope we get some more of Kyden's back story in the next book because I want to get to know him better... and I hope he stops wearing shorts under his kilt!

Overall, this was an good start to an urban fantasy series that will follow Nexi and Kyden as they face magic and mayhem. I have high hopes for the series. I would like for the world building to really be amped up. I hope that Nexi continues to mature and not get on my nerves. I want more info on Kyden. And I want to see lots and lots and lots more Valor! And that's all I have to say about that.

View all my reviews

Other Books in the Series:


My Review Review coming May 27



No comments:

Post a Comment