Monday, December 14, 2015

Audiobook Review: Tyrant by T.M. Frazier

Tyrant 
by T.M. Frazier
Series:  King #2
Pub. Date:  Oct. 23, 2015
Publisher:  Tantor Audio
Narrators:  Molly Glenmore, Rob Shapiro
Length:  7 hrs 43 min
Format:  Audiobook
Source:  Audible


My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


I. Remember. Everything.

Only now I wish I didn't. 

When the fog is sucked away from my mind like smoke through a vacuum, the truth that has been beyond my reach for months finally reveals itself. 

But the relief I thought I would feel never comes, and I'm more afraid now than I was the morning I woke up handcuffed in King's bed.

Because with the truth comes dark secrets I was never meant to know. 

I will put the lives of those I love most at risk if I let on that my memory has returned, or if I seek help from the heavily tattooed felon who owns me body and soul. 

I don't know if I'm strong enough to resist the magnetic pull toward King that grows stronger every day. 

He's already saved me in more ways than one. Now it's my turn to do whatever it takes to save him. 

Even if that means marrying someone else... 


After that cliffhanger in King, I was in a bit of a ranty mood because (according to my blog reading schedule) I could not move on to this book right away. My resolve to stay on schedule lasted all of a day before I found myself pulling Tyrant from Audible and listening whenever I had a spare minute or three.

For a good portion of the book, I was thinking that the blurb was somewhat misleading because Doe didn't seem to have her memory back and I didn't really feel like she was in danger. But man, it all happens fast toward the end and holy feck it was a doozy that left me in a tailspin. Prior to that though, we see Doe bonding with her son, Sammie, and pining for King. She remembers a couple things here and there but nothing earth shattering. She spends some time with Tanner and her housekeeper, Nadine. But we quickly see that she has absentee parents and home life was never so great for her.

We learn in the first pages that King did not really go to jail, and that the spitstorm with Isaac is not over. Now King and Bear must deal with Eli, who is even scarier. Things happen here that made me cringe and have to stop listening for a while (but not for long). While King has been away trying to deal with this situation, things have become complicated to the umpteenth degree with Doe.

I was so happy that this dark and twisty story ended up as a HEA for King and Doe... but the graphic torture in this one got to me. It was heartwrenching and if it had been a movie, I would have been closing my eyes during those parts. I love the dark books, but I'm not sure I can handle the gore. That's the only reason this one wasn't a 5 star for me. The writing is great, the pacing keeps you turning pages (or listening as the case may be), and the characters are fully developed. I cannot wait for Lawless because I have fallen in love with Bear over the course of the first two books.

The male narrator in this book still threw me off - his voice did just did not match up with King's persona for me. So I think I will read the next one instead of listening.


King Series


No comments:

Post a Comment