Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Review: Light My Fire by G.A. Aiken

Light My Fire 
by G.A. Aiken
Series:  Dragon Kin #7
Pub. Date:  Nov. 25, 2014
Publisher:  Zebra / Kensington
Pages:  483
Format:  eBook
Source:  Amazon


My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:
The trouble with humans is that they're far too sensitive. Forget you put a woman in the local jail for a few months - and she takes it so personally! And yet she is the one trying to assassinate the queen. And now I'm trapped with Elina Shestakova of the Black Bear Riders of the Midnight...gods! That endless name!
But what am I to do? I am Celyn the Charming with direct orders from my queen to protect this unforgiving female.
Even more shocking, this unforgiving female is completely unimpressed by me. How is that even possible? But I know what I want and, for the moment, I want her. And I'm sure that she, like all females, will learn to adore me. How could she not when I am just so damn charming?
I really wish these books were released more often because I have the hardest time remembering who is who and what happened in previous books.  While the individual romances are unique to each book, there is a story arc that has continued to build over each installment. The dragons, mates and hybrid offspring are gearing up to the big battle with the followers of Chramnesind, who think all dragon-human offspring are abominations.

When the story starts off, we are introduced to our heroine, Elina Shestakova of the Black Bear Riders of the Midnight Mountains of Despair in the Far Reaches of the Steppes of the Outerplains. This is a new group of people that we have not met before, known as "Riders," a matriarchal society of warrior women that see anything with a penis as good for nothing other than breeding and taking out the trash or other menial work. The women are quite logical and view all southlanders as imperialist dogs, lazy and living off the suffering of the peasants.  Elina's attitude towards, well, everything, was in the extreme literal sense and could be quite humorous. She was always ready to meet death, and believed all the talk about her being a failure that was spouted by her family her whole life, so that was exasperating at times. Her sister, Kachka, made me laugh more often than Elina did. Kachka is the only member of Elina's very large family that likes or tolerates Elina.

The dragony hero in this installment is Celyn the Charming, son of Bram the Merciful and Ghleanna the Decimator (I think that is Ghleanna's title - she is General of the Queen Rhiannon's armies). Celyn was always exasperated with Elina, unless they were naked wrestling. Celyn is not my favorite dragon of the series - he is a little absentminded and not quite alpha enough for what I want in a dragon. But he sure is pretty - as most of the dragons are. I did like that he was curious about everything and asked tons of questions. He seemed to take more after Bram the Merciful than Ghleanna - so its nice to see a Cadwaladr clan member who is not all rough and tumble all of the time.

I wasn't so much into the romance in this installment of the Dragon Kin series, but I enjoyed the continuing story arc involving Annwyl, Brigida the Foul, and all of the other ridiculous dragons. I am enjoying reading about the Abominations and their powers. Gwynvael and Dagmar's children are super weird and awesome. I look forward to seeing how their stories unfold.

View all my reviews

Dragon Kin Series


No comments:

Post a Comment