Saturday, February 13, 2016

Series Saturday Audiobook Review: Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones



Sixth Grave on the Edge
by Darynda Jones
Series:  Charley Davidson #6
Pub. Date:  May 20, 2014
Publisher:  Macmillan Audio
Narrator:  Lorelei King
Length:  9 hrs 46 min
Format:  Audiobook
Source:  Overdrive / Library


My Rating:  
Sultry Scale:


Few things in life can come between a grim reaper and her coffee, but the sexy, sultry son of Satan is one of them. Now that Reyes Farrow has asked for her hand, Charley Davidson feels it's time to learn more about his past, but Reyes is reluctant to open up. When the official FBI file of his childhood abduction lands in her lap, Charley decides to go behind her mysterious beau’s back and conduct her own investigation. Because what could go wrong?


Unfortunately, another case has fallen into her lap—one with dangerous implications. Some very insistent men want Charley to hunt down a witness who is scheduled to testify against their boss, a major player in the local crime syndicate. If Charley doesn't come up with an address in 48 hours, the people closest to her will start to disappear. 

Add to that a desperate man in search of the soul he lost in a card game, a dogged mother determined to find the ghost of her son, and a beautiful, young Deaf boy haunted by his new ability to see the departed as clearly as he sees the living, and Charley has her hands full. The fact that Reyes has caught on to her latest venture only adds fuel to the inferno that he is. Good thing for Charley she's used to multi-tasking and always up for a challenge…especially when that challenge comes in the form of Reyes Farrow.



It's been a while since I have read one of these books... and I remember now why I needed to take a break. As my friend Tracy said, Charley has become a caricature instead of a heroine. She is over-the-top ridiculous in an attempt to be humorous. I listened to this one in audio, and I believe its the same narrator as the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich. Reyes sounds just like Ranger... so this really had me comparing the two series as I was listening. While I continue to love the Plum books, this series is just not funny to me anymore. Charley is always charging head first into ridiculous situations without thinking about what she is doing, who she may effect, or what the consequences may be. She leans more toward annoying than lovably clueless.


I had trouble paying attention to the story because I couldn't find it in myself to care what was happening. Then we get to the cliffhanger, and I just don't see the series going in a direction that I would want to continue. I thought we were working toward a grand romance between Charley and Reyes that would defeat good and evil and all that... but their relationship has dragged on in limbo these last six books and now that it could finally go somewhere, we get that whammy at the end that is going to change everything. And frankly, I don't think Charley is in anyway mature enough or ready for what is coming. I mean we are six books in (not counting the novellas and short stories) and it seems like Charley has regressed more than grown into her character and abilities. I may continue at some point just to see what happened between heaven and hell... but I won't be in any hurry to move these up my TBR.

View all my reviews

Charley Davidson


No comments:

Post a Comment