Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Audiobook Review: Secrets in Death by J.D. Robb

Series:     In Death #45
Pub. Date:Sept. 4, 2017
Publisher:Brilliance Audio
Length:13 hrs 2 min

Wow, this release snuck up on me and I almost missed it! Luckily I caught it in passing and Eve and Roarke were able to keep me company as I continued to pack for the big move this week. It's amazing that this series is still going so strong at the 45th installment, but I really hope I'm still saying that for a long time to come. I don't ever want to give up these characters. I only wish I could live in their world!

For Secrets in Death, the main focus was actually on the victim this time. And she was not a good person. Larynda Mars was the gossip girl at Channel 75, and she used her powers for evil. A blackmailer and all-around sneaky snake, she was not a sympathetic victim. But that never matters to our heroine, Eve Dallas, who stands for the dead no matter who they are. This case required Eve to fit together the puzzle of Larynda's past, and uncover the secrets of Larynda's victims. The ever-present and lovable Peabody was along for the ride with short cameos from McNab, Feeney, Mira and some of Eve's detectives. Roarke was along for much of the ride playing supportive spouse, e-geek, and sometimes putting those old criminal skills to use. 

Overall the mystery moved along at a steady pace. The plot was more about the puzzle this time and less about violence and danger. The culprit wasn't difficult to guess, but it didn't detract from the story. 

As I have been packing and generally running around like a crazy person, I wasn't able to jot down notes as I listened to this one. The narrator, Susan Ericksen, did a fab job as usual. She really brings the characters to life whether its Eve, Roarke or baby Bella - each has their own distinct voice and personality. It's mainly her talent that has me returning to this series in audio format with each new release.

Sorry this review is a shorty - but I got sh!t to do before I embark on my move to the deserts of Arizona. Hopefully I will be back to a regular schedule in a couple months.

No comments:

Post a Comment