Tuesday, November 21, 2017

ARC Review: Tempted & Taken by Rhenna Morgan

Series:     Men of Haven #4
Pub. Date:Nov. 20, 2017
Publisher:Carina Press
Length:432 pages
Source:NetGalley

I have been thoroughly enamored by Rhenna Morgan's Men of Haven this year, and I will be very impatient about having to wait until next year to get my next Haven alpha fix.  This series is premised on a group of testosterone-laden men, some with tragic pasts, who have made their own family of in a sort of alpha brotherhood. While each makes his own independent living, the brothers stick together when the going gets tough or when there is fun to be had.

Knox Torren is somewhat of an alpha geek, one that you often behind a computer screen writing code or hacking secure systems. He is also a serial ladies man, a love 'em and leave 'em (screaming after an orgasm) type. Though Knox doesn't set out to hurt the women he sleeps with, and is honest with them from the start that he doesn't do relationships, he can't quite keep them from getting emotionally involved. And who can blame them with the way Knox takes care of business? So why doesn't Knox do relationships, well that's a story for his tragic past that is better discovered by the reader. I liked Knox, but not quite as much as I went gaga for the previous heroes in the series. He was a bit more aloof and bullheaded about the "no relationships" aspect, and I felt like the bit about his past was a tad overblown. But that is me injecting my own sensibilities onto a fictional character. He definitely had talent, no doubt perfected by the repeated practice with women all over town. But once Knox fell... he fell hard and went after his woman with a single-minded determination.

Darya Volkova has a tragic past of her own, one that has sent her into hiding in the United States from her native Russia. I loved Darya's philosophy of life... Dream Like You'll Live Forever and Live Like You'll Die Tomorrow. Despite being in hiding, Darya was trying to live a full life and I liked her adventurous spirit. I really liked this heroine. In fact, I can't think of one annoying thing about her. And that is a real compliment given my heroine-hating proclivities. I loved that Darya took things in stride and was willing to work with Knox and his issues, instead of creating a bunch of unnecessary drama. She also didn't run off half-cocked and get herself into needlessly dangerous situations. So it was like Rhenna looked into my head at all those annoying heroine traits, and she did just the opposite where Darya was concerned. It was refreshing.

The relationship between Knox and Darya starts off casual, but the chemistry is explosive and the steam is off the charts. There was an abundance of sexytime for all you smut lovers, but there was also a bit of intrigue and suspense dealing with Darya's secret past. I do wish the action and suspense would have started a bit earlier, but I think that is me feeling a need for adrenaline lately. Overall, the story fit nicely into the series and I continue to enjoy watching the Haven family expand and grow stronger with the addition of each heroine.

I am on tenterhooks waiting for Axel's book - and I continue to call dibs on his character. I would even love to see a novella or two for the moms - who need their own romantic interest!

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book that I received from the publisher, Carina Press.


Purchase Links


Men of Haven


No comments:

Post a Comment