Monday, May 14, 2018

Audiobook Review: One Foot in the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Series:     Night Huntress #2
Pub. Date:Oct. 20, 2010
Publisher:Blackstone Audio
Narrator::Tavia Gilbert
Length:9 hrs 47 min
Source:Hoopla

My binge of the Night Huntress series continued right through my 3-day road trip, and I of course couldn't skip probably the most infamous book of the series. Having met Jeaniene a few times at signings now, I have heard her speak about this book more than once. Whenever Chapter 32 gets brought up, I can't help but chuckle at her story. She really is one of the most down-to-earth, humble and funny authors that I have met.

Note: This review may contain spoilers for prior books in the series.

If you haven't read the series, you may not realize that One Foot in the Grave picks up four years after we left off in Halfway to the Grave. After the ending of that first book, I was always glad that I could jump right into the second. If I would have had to wait any length of time, I may have gone bonkers worrying over the fate of Cat and Bones. 

Cat is now firmly ensconced in her work with Don and Homeland Security. She is leading her team to execute vampires, targets that are picked out by her new employer. We are introduced to Cat's new team, with standouts Tate, Juan and Cooper. I absolutely love Juan - he is so flirty and fun! At this point in the series, I still hate Cat's mother and I'm not overly fond of Don. 

We are introduced to Ian in this installment, and despite having read this series numerous times, I keep forgetting that Ian was Bones' maker. Ian takes on more of a villainous role in this installment, where he becomes one of my favorite characters later in the series. This re-read of the series is coming at a great time seeing as Ian's series is starting in a few months! I can't wait for that one.

We also learn more about Cat's origins and see her facing off with her father, Maximilian. Max is a truly vile vampire, and I thought he was an interesting addition to the series. His character gave us that true evil aspect and served as a single point of focus instead of having multiple bad vampires to divert our attention. 

I loved the reunion of Cat and Bones, and the strengthening of their relationship in this book. Cat has grown some backbone and is willing to stand up for her man, so I felt like she and Bones were more on the same level as the story progressed. And that first "Hallo, Kitten" in this story is my favorite of the whole series. Of course this book holds the infamous and very steamy Chapter 32, which will knock your smutty little socks off. 

Tavia Gilbert narrates the series, and she does a fabulous job. I wasn't sure about giving Bones a Cockney accent in the beginning, but it has grown on me and I love her affectation for his character. She does a great job at creating a different sound for each character - and I know that has to be hard given the multitude of players in the story.

I continued to binge the series during my drive so stay tuned for the next review.

Purchase Links


Night Huntress Series


No comments:

Post a Comment